Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Step 3) Faced With A Face Full Of Foil

Bulking out the armature with aluminum foil…



This was supposed to help save on clay and weight by filling out the center of the sculpt (and the rough texture of the foil was supposed to give the clay something to cling to – except I got overzealous with the electrical tape…. That’s ok though, because the clay I ended up using was quite sticky when warmed. I didn’t have any trouble with it falling off the sculpt)


You can see I also wrapped wire around the limbs – again to give the clay something extra to grab onto.



I didn’t want to add TOO much foil though, since, if I needed to, I wanted the ability to carve deep into the sculpt. I tried to leave myself at least an inch (more like two) all the way around.

In the end though I VASTLY underestimated the amount of clay I needed to order. In fact I had to order clay twice because I ran out before I’d even finished roughing out the sculpt the first time.

* * *

This is a short post before an extra long one but since I've got a little time I just have to show you this little bit of D9 fun I found.

I was visiting a friend just in time for her annual, spectacular Halloween party. We were packing up the various bags of treats and decorations to take over to the event hall when she hands me what looks like a green, metallic novelty pen.

"Here," she said. "I thought you might like to have this."

Seeing antennae and guessing as to why she deemed it an appropriate gift for me, I chortle "Oooh! A Prawn pen!"

Then I turned it over for a closer look...


Hey - It really WAS a Prawn Pen! An Angry!Wikus Pen no less! XD

This is why I have awesome friends - they know me MUCH too well!

(Hmm something tells me I'll be commiserating with Angry!Wikus here before this project is out...)

No comments:

Post a Comment